On June 28th the greatest New Mexican fighters of all time will be honored by being inducted into the New Mexico Boxing Hall of Fame. The ceremony, “A Night of Champions”, is being put together by the Las Cruces Police Athletic League and the New Mexico Hall of Fame and will take place at the Las Cruces Convention Center in Las Cruces, New Mexico. The new inductees will include former and current world champions: Bob Foster, Danny Romero, Johnny Tapia, Holly Holm and Austin Trout.
Johnny Tapia’s wife Teresa Tapia will be representing her late husband at the event. Every other fighter with the exception of Foster have committed to attending the induction ceremony.
The event will begin at 6 PM with a VIP Cocktail hour, when attendees will have the opportunity to meet the inductees. The New Mexico Hall of Fame ceremony will begin at 7 PM, with dinner being served to all attendees.
Credentials for each inductee:
- Bob Foster was the first New Mexican to win a world championship by defeating Dick Tiger in 1968.
- Danny Romero was a three time world champion.
- The late Tapia was a five-time world champion.
- Current fighters Holm and Trout are widely considered among the best in their respective divisions;
- Holm is also arguably one of the top 5 greatest females fighters of all time. She becomes the first female boxer and the second female overall (judge Sandy Pino-2011 inductee) to be inducted.
- Trout is undefeated and is the current title holder of the WBA Light Middleweight championship. He will be looking to become the third New Mexican male to unify world championships this Saturday when he takes on WBC champion Saul Canelo Alvarez.
Full details in the press release below…
Press Realase: The Las Cruces Police Athletic League (PAL) and the New Mexico Boxing Hall of Fame presents “A Night of Champions” on Friday June 28, 2013 at the Las Cruces Convention Center.
For the first time ever, the greatest names in New Mexico boxing history will be under one roof as the New Mexico Boxing Hall of Fame inducts its five newest members.
The new inductees will include former and current world champions: Bob Foster, Danny Romero, Johnny Tapia, Holly Holm and Austin Trout. Currently, all but Foster have committed to being at the event, with Teresa Tapia representing her late husband, Johnny Tapia.
The event will begin at 6 PM with a VIP Cocktail hour, when attendees will have the opportunity to meet the inductees. The NM Hall of Fame event will begin at 7 PM, with dinner being served to all attendees.
Ticket prices are as follows:
•VIP Cocktail hour – $50 per person
• Hall of Fame event – $50 per person
• Table for up to 10 people for Hall of Fame event – $600 (does not include VIP Cocktail hour)
The Austin Trout Youth Boxing Classic, a regional amateur boxing event celebrating boxing in the Southwest, will be held on Saturday, June 29, 2013 beginning at 2 PM.
Admission for the boxing event is as follows:
•$15 – 21 years and older
•$10 – Five to 20 years old
• $1 – Four years and younger
Proceeds from both events will go to the Las Cruces PAL Boxing Club, a program that has, for over 40 years, taken “at-risk” youth off the streets and taught them discipline through boxing.
The Las Cruces Convention Center is located at 680 E. University Ave, Las Cruces, NM 88001.
For more information on both events, please visit ANightofChampions.com or contact Las Cruces PAL Director, Lorenzo Alba Jr. at firstname.lastname@example.org.